Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week #10

First mission field haircut...toothbrush

I had a very wild week this week! So let's start on Tuesday. (New Years Eve) We started off the day by doing area book work because Elder Bates wasn't feeling good. Then we tried to street contact and everyone was in a super big hurry, so probably not our best idea. So after that we came home and there was a little problem...someone seemed to have broken into our apartment. They busted out the lock and twisted the lock. We couldn't get in to see if the man actually got in or not because the lock was gone. We went down to the people who live below us and got their phone book and called the Police. It's not 911 in Europe, it's a really long number and there is a different number for each emergency.  So we called like 200 lock smiths and they were closed because it was New Years Eve...pretty much all hope was lost.  We called the senior missionaries in our zone asking them what to do and they just said come stay the night in their apartment. We tried to call one more lock smith. He answered and said he would come! He came after 2hrs and good news the robber didn't get in! Bad news the lock smith charged us 200 euros ($275 dollars)! Then our New Years Eve dinner appointment canceled after we had already walked half way there, so we tried looking for an open store. Every store, no joke in Europe is closed until Jan. 5th! Its so crazy! Then we just went back into the apartment and wrote letters and stuff so that was my New Years Eve! Beat that! I woke up and it was a new year! It felt so weird, I remember seeing 2013 for the first time last year with Dakota and Branson on a ski lift! But we had the whole day to do nothing. So here in Charleroi it used to be a pretty cool place with a bunch of factories, but they all went out of business and everyone left and now there is just a bunch of abandoned factories and houses every where. We went and looked inside them and checked them out, it was really fun and cool! Then we all made food.  We met up with the sisters at the church, we all popped bottles, ate and played ping pong - it was really fun! We played ping pong with plates because we couldn't find the paddles haha. On the 2nd we had District Meeting and we just talked and learned how to contact people. After that we went Porting and we met this old man by chance named Jumet. His wife used to be a member. She died, he started crying and it was really spiritual. It was like a scene from the movie UP.  On the 3rd we woke up early because we had a meeting with this guy named Diego. It took us 2 hrs to get to his house and he wasn't home. Then we got stuck in the biggest rain storm I have ever seen! I had never been so soaked in my whole life! Luckily I didn't have anything important with me so we are good. So then we a had meeting at the church with one of our good investigators. He texted us after we walked in the huge rain storm that he converted to Muslim and he wants us to do the same. He was one of our super good investigators. On the fourth nothing really happened. I guess I spoke really loud and laughed in my sleep so I thought that was really funny! We taught our best investigator the Law of Chastity and he did not seemed too thrilled. On the 5th it was the last day of Christmas Contacting which means I get to stop singing for strangers so I was really happy about that! Ok so this is why I didn't email on Monday.  I'm sure some people noticed. So...worst day of my mission so far...I made the worst decision of my life. I got a hair cut at a salon place. I have no hair now. Don't expect pictures of me without a beanie for at least 2 months. Hopefully you guys know what Macklemore's hair looks like because we have the EXACT same do. I look like a tooth brush. Lesson learned. But whatever YOLO life goes on! Love you all thanks for all your support and prayers I needed them this week! Happy New year have a good week!!! 
-Elder Beck
P.S. I read this quote I really liked "There is only as much generosity to receive as there is to give."
By Julien Green 









No comments:

Post a Comment